We interrupt this week’s news cycle for some back-patting:
This past weekend, dozens of alt-weekly newspapers and media companies from across the country converged on Washington, D.C., for the annual Association of Alternative Newsmedia awards.
More than six-dozen publications submitted some 817 entries, and the Express writers came home with six wins, including two-first place prizes:
1. Luke Tsai, first place, Best Food Writing (for his coverage of cultural appropriation in the restaurant industry, “Cooking Other People’s Food“; and two restaurant reviews).
2. Darwin BondGraham, first place, best long-form news story, on Caltrans trashing homeless encampments.
3. BondGraham also earned a second-place nod for best beat reporting, for his five-part series on crummy East Bay landlords (read these stories: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
4. Former Express managing editor took home an honorable mention in the prestigious Feature Story category, for her investigation of the former White Walls gallery owner, aka the “Art Gallery Grifter.”
5. New Express restaurant reviewer and staff writer Janelle Bitker notched a third-place win for her cover story on a Sacramento sushi chef (which she wrote as a staff writer for SN&R).
6. And current Express editor took home third place in the “Free Speech” category, for his work in Sacramento covering former mayor and NBA all-star Kevin Johnson (these stories: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5).