Mozzarella Sticks? How ‘Bout Tequila in a Sippy Cup?

Restaurant chain Applebee’s has a lot of explaining to do after a toddler was accidentally served a margarita instead of apple juice in his sippy cup at one of the chain’s restaurants in Antioch on Monday. According to the Oakland Tribune, the two-year-old’s mother became suspicious after her son “kept making funny faces and pushing away his plastic, lidded cup.” When she inspected the cup’s contents, she immediately smelled alcohol and alerted their waiter. Mom said she wasn’t going to “make a big deal about it,” but “then he got sick.” The boy was rushed to the hospital later that evening after he became drowsy and started vomiting, but is fine now.

It’s unclear just how much liquor he ingested, but apparently the pre-made margarita mix contained top-shelf tequila. Applebee’s vice president Randy Tei says the mix-up resulted from the margarita mix and apple juice stored in identical plastic containers behind the bar. “We absolutely believe it was an honest mistake,” Tei said. “And those workers have learned a very important lesson by it.” Yeah, get some labels.

Support the East Bay Express, local news, donate
18,654FansLike
0FollowersFollow
67,429FollowersFollow

Newsletter sign-up

eLert sign-up

Oakland
scattered clouds
58 ° F
63 °
53 °
67 %
5.8mph
40 %
Tue
60 °
Wed
63 °
Thu
62 °
Fri
66 °
Sat
74 °