The latest updates in the Bay Area’s fight against the virus show both promise and caution
The latest developments around the region related to the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19:
Vaccinated Californians will have a chance to win part of $16.5 million in cash prizes next month as state officials attempt to incentivize more residents to get their first shot, Gov. Gavin Newsom said last Thursday.
Starting on June 3rd, all Californians who get their first vaccine dose in the coming days will receive one of 2 million $50 gift cards on a first-come, first-served basis through the state’s Vax for the Win program.
For all state residents who get vaccinated or have already been vaccinated, the state will hold drawings on June 4 and 11 to select a total of 30 residents to receive $50,000 cash prizes.
On June 15, the state will hold a final drawing, in which state residents that have received at least one vaccine dose will be eligible for one of 10 $1.5 million cash prizes.
Health officers in nine Bay Area counties and the city of Berkeley announced Friday that they support recent federal guidance approving people to get vaccines for other illnesses at the same time they get a COVID-19 vaccine.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had previously recommended that people wait at least 14 days after getting the COVID-19 vaccine to get vaccinated against other preventable illnesses.
With more and more real-world evidence of the vaccines’ safety and efficacy, the CDC updated that guidance on May 14.
The Association of Bay Area Health Officials – which includes officials from the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Solano and the city of Berkeley – said Friday that it will support that guidance going forward.
As of May 28th, officials had confirmed the following number of cases around the greater Bay Area region:
- Alameda County: 88,837 cases, 1,684 deaths (88,773 cases, 1,681 deaths) (Totals include Berkeley Health Department data.)
- Contra Costa County: 69,574 cases, 799 deaths (69,532 cases, 799 deaths)
- Marin County: 14,122 cases, 213 deaths (14,116 cases, 213 deaths) (Totals include San Quentin State Prison)
- Monterey County: 43,730 cases, 385 deaths (43,723 cases, 385 deaths)
- Napa County: 9,929 cases, 81 deaths (9,926 cases, 81 deaths)
- San Francisco County: 36,633 cases, 542 deaths (36,626 cases, 542 deaths)
- San Joaquin County: 73,794 cases, 1,419 deaths (73,794 cases, 1,419 deaths)
- San Mateo County: 42,069 cases, 576 deaths (42,056 cases, 573 deaths)
- Santa Clara County: 119,017 cases, 2,142 deaths (119,006 cases, 2,135 deaths)
- Santa Cruz County: 16,169 cases, 206 deaths (16,177 cases, 206 deaths) (Case count revised by county)
- Solano County: 33,293 cases, 238 deaths (33,261 cases, 234 deaths)
- Sonoma County: 30,269 cases, 315 deaths (30,257 cases, 315 deaths)
- Statewide: 3,682,099 cases, 62,025 deaths (3,677,235 cases, 61,855 deaths on May 28th).
- Bay City News