- This event has passed.
Jazz Guitar Comping – Jazzschool-Online 9 Week Class
April 8 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm$360
A class providing the intermediate to advanced guitarist with the concepts and techniques essential for creative and supportive comping.
• exploring chord voicings: conventional, upper register, quartal voicings, voicings containing minor 2nds, voicings incorporating superimposed triads, slash chords
• chord substituting and the tritone substitution
• approaching the fingerboard in a more pianistic way
• rhythmic syncopation and anticipation, creating forward motion, making the music groove
• comping over various styles of music including straight-ahead bebop, modal, ballads, contemporary and fusion jazz, Brazilian and Afro Cuban
• comping in 3/4, 6/8, and odd times.
Prerequisites: the ability to play major, minor and dominant seventh chords, and the II V I progression in all keys.
Instructor: Steve Erquiaga
National and international recording and performing artist; has performed at Montreux Jazz Festival, Berlin Jazz Festival, North Sea Jazz Festival; performed and recorded with Bobby McFerrin, Joe Henderson, Les McCann, John Scofield, John Handy, David Byrne, Turtle Island String Quartet, Maria Schneider and Andy Narell; faculty, Jamey Aebersold Jazz Clinics; publications include ‘Guitar Duets’ and arrangements from his CD ‘Cafe Paradiso.’